DBA Cases

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Start Something New In 2008

It’s 2008! Start something new, like starting a business, a new marketing strategy, a new public relations campaign, launch a new product or service, whatever it is just start it. Yes change is scary, but so is life.

Let's talk about starting new. I was terrified when I started EastLake Marketing Group. There I was, 41 years old with no job and wondering what the hell to do next. So what did I do? I started a business. Read my first post regarding that very moment.


My Story (Posted August 2006)
Let me tell you my story. I started EastLake Marketing Group after being fired from my corporate giant job. I was forty-something when this happened, so you can imagine I panicked. How do I start over at forty-one? Then I thought, after much debate, why not start my own business. I started my business in 2004 with about $20,000 in settlement money (I sued the corporate giant). This at the time was the only way I figured I would be safe from being fired ever again.

It's been almost 2 years since I become an entrepreneur, and let me tell you, I love every minute of being my own boss. Sure it's hard work, 12 hour days, 7 days a week. I've got seven clients, I work hard to serve them, so they don't go elsewhere. I also market my business to gain more clients (wear about 20 hats). My goal is to have at least 41 clients by 2008, hire two or three employees, then I think I'll be satisfied.

EastLake Marketing Group specializes in small business marketing. I offer web design, graphic design, promotional products and marketing advice.

So that's my story. On the advice of my twenty-something myspace-blog-queen daughter, I decided to start my own blog. I'll be giving away free marketing advice. Feel free to contact me for anything specific. (Post End)


Well it has now been four years since I started EastLake Marketing Group. I can honestly say that I have loved every minute of the ride that got me to this point. Did I have some rough patches? Yes. Did I eat cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Yes. Did I work my patooty off to get my first 7 clients? Yes. Did I come close to making my goal of 41 clients? Not yet, but I still intend to meet that goal. Now as far as hiring two or three employees, I won’t ever hire anyone (this is California, the highest State on the planet to have employees in), I do however hire independent contractors.

How do I feel about starting my own business? It’s the best thing I could have done. Yes, it’s like giving birth and raising a baby until it decides to move out on it’s own. I enjoy every long, up and down, unpredictable, fun-loving, sometimes painful day. I wouldn't get a job now even if I was offered six-figures. I would slowly go crazy working for someone else. So to those of you who are business owners, reflect on this. Running a business is hard, but it's also damn rewarding. Keep doing you.

No comments: